Friday, July 2, 2010

Hermanos en Cristo,

Yet another week has slipped by here. I am absolutely amazed that I have been here for over a month now. The time is slipping through my fingers like sand. I know that I am really living my life when this happens, when I am not counting the days, and barely notice they are passing me by. But I know that I have to treasure this last month or so and be more in tune to what the Lord may be trying to use me for.

Yesterday, a big group of young adults came in from all over the country to serve alongside the rest of the missioners for a mountain mission that we are embarking on this Sunday. We have people from places as far as Texas A&M, Steubenville, California, Florida...it's so exciting, the people are inspiring, and it's so great to have new faces in the house who have hearts so willing to serve Christ and His people.

I am beyond excited for the mountain misson. Missioners have told me that it is a life-changing experience. We are going to be staying at an aldea that is so deep in the mountains they don't have electricity, and are only able to recieve the sacraments once a year. Can you imagine? I honestly can't. Imagine how difficult it would be to maintain the faith as a Catholic and go that long without confession, and especially the Eucharist. It is hard enough for me when I have the sacraments readily available. To say the least, we will learn a lot from them.

Our mission is to bring them hope and to walk alongside them in their hurts and doubts, even if just for a week. We will be doing retreats for kids, teens and families..and yes, I will be giving talks, in spanish. The Holy Spirit better get working, that's all I'm saying!

I wanted to share with you all one experience I had this week. We met a poor woman who had just found out that her baby son had been sexually abused. We prayed with her, but mostly we listened to her heart-felt prayers to God, and we held her while she wept. And we wept too. For a long time. The whole time time I was thinking how inspiring it was that this woman could still pray. Carol, our leader, tells us that we desperately need the poor for our own salvation. This was a moment for me that helped me realize how much I need them.

Please pray for us on our mission. You are in my prayers!

A kiss of peace,
Angie

"Only in heaven will we see how much we owe to the poor for helping us to love God better because of them."
-Mother Teresa

5 comments:

Monica said...

God bless! I hope you have a wonderful time on your mountain mission, it sounds like it will be the experience of a lifetime. As always you are in my prayers!
Love,
Monica

Stephanie Rose said...

Thanks for sharing more of your experiences, Angie! I can't wait to hear about the mountain mission. You're in my prayers!
- Stephanie

Julie said...

Praying for you every day, Angie. I LOVE poverty more because of you. Tonight we had a slumber party in the gym, and I made a sheet fort with some JC's and we colored, and Colleen and Torrey had their hair straightened! But Colleen tells me (right now) that she doesn't like it, but she LOVES you.
I think of you all the time, especially when I see Laura Tremblay. She is so sweet and goes out of her way to give me at least one hug a day. I told her that I would print out your blog posts to share with her because they have been such an inspiration to me.
Please pray for my JC1s- Holly, Hannah, Grace, and Curran. I love you, dear!

Julie said...

PS- Adam Trufant is doing mission work in Mexico until October, and a group of girls are going to join him after camp, including Marie Celeste and Ariel. Here's the link to his blog! http://yucatanmission.blogspot.com/

Angiemartin08 said...

Thank you guys!! I miss you all so much!! Thank you for your prayers! =)