Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Hijos y Hijas de Dios,

The mission was so amazing! I couldn’t have asked for a better group of people to work with. The village we worked in was absolutely gorgeous. I wish I had pictures to share, but my camera broke the day I got there. It was called “Mal Paso”, which basically means bad road. The roads were crazy- tons and tons of mud and huge rocks. The first morning when we got up, I naively wore sandals. My feet were basically two weights of mud. It was pretty hysterical; all the Hondurans usually gave us looks of pity, but I’m pretty sure we were their entertainment for the week. Supposedly there is some special way to walk in the mud here. I’m not even kidding. There would be a foot of really thick mud on the ground, and the Hondurans would walk into Church with spotless feet. That baffled us the entire week.

The generosity of the people was incredible. The woman at the house we were sleeping in would look through our things and wash our (muddy) clothes. We didn’t ask her to do this. She would fold them up discreetly, and never said a word about it. Everyday for lunch we were served chicken. Our leader, who is a Honduran, explained to me that they only eat meat in the Aldellas on Christmas and Easter, huge celebrations. Yet, everyday they were giving up their animals for us. The people were really such a joy to meet. Although we were there to serve them, I almost always felt like the one being served.

One girl specifically had a huge impact on me. Her name was Gloria. She was about 11, and her mother had died. She told me that she wanted to be a missionary like us when she grew up. She was often teased—I think it might have been because she was so poor. She asked me if I would move here and be her sister…yeah. She was so joyful and so in need of love. Throughout the mission, we were given these huge blocks of cheese to eat at almost every meal. The cheese here is really strong, and it was honestly really difficult to finish. We would sometimes jokingly complain to each other afterwards about how much we hated it. I was talking to Gloria and I was asking her about what she ate everyday. She said she eats beans and tortillas everyday; I asked her if she had cheese as well, and she said they didn’t have enough money for cheese. She also said they can’t afford to eat meat even on Christmas. I’m sure you can imagine how I felt after that! Every time we felt like we were going to gag on the cheese, we would say, “This ones for Gloria!”

For the mission, we had 3 programs everyday, one for children, one for teens, and one for adults. This mission taught me to have a deeper trust that God was using me and speaking through me in whatever way He wanted. When I gave talks, I never knew if the people understood what I was saying or if I was even saying things correctly. We often would visit houses and invite people to come to the programs and we would usually never see them again. This sometimes got to be discouraging, and I felt like screaming, “Am I even doing anything for you Lord!?” But that’s where that trust comes in—I had to trust that they heard and were given what they needed at that moment in their life. I will remember the people I met for the rest of my life. I’m so blessed to have met them and to have been able to share my love for Christ with them in whatever small way I was able to.

Love always,
Angie

"Let us not grow tired of doing good, for in due time we shall reap our harvest, if we do not give up."
Galatians 6:9

3 comments:

Monica said...

Angie, you are doing such amazing work! I'm so proud to call you my best friend!!! I love hearing from you and reading your blog! You are always in my prayers and the people you are working with are blessed to have you! Don't give up hope, you are a very powerful tool in God's hands...

"I don't claim anything of the work. It is His work. I am like a little pencil in His hand. That is all. He does the thinking. He does the writing. The pencil has nothing to do with it. The pencil has only to be allowed to be used." -Mother Teresa

Love you!!!
Monica

Julie said...

Angie! So beautiful! I am so encouraged by reading your blog- I look forward to it every week. I have told my friends about your blog and I ask everyone at camp, "Have you read Angie's blog? You need to!"

Trust has been a huge theme for me this week, too. I love the quote your friend Monica posted. I am reading a book on St. Therese right now called I Believe in Love, and the priest says that Jesus is hurt most by our lack of confidence in Him. He never says to them "Oh men of little obedience!" or "Oh men of little strength!" No, He says, "Oh men of little faith!"
This priest also says that when we make an act of confidence in Him, Jesus will give us yet another opportunity to prove that we trust Him. When Peter made an act of confidence in the Lord by walking out to Him on water, Jesus allows him to sink a little bit. Peter's act of confidence was immediately followed up by a second opportunity to trust even more. Jesus would never let Peter sink! But Peter doubted.
In a meditation, the priest imagines Jesus responding to the disciples' lack of faith in Matthew 8:23-27:
"I can hear Jesus scolding them with gentleness, but with pain, too: "Why is this? I was in the boat with you- I slept, but I was there- and you were afraid; you were terrified. You doubted either my omnipotence or my love. Do you not know after all who I am, and do you not know after all with what tenderness my Heart watches over you continually?"

This is the prayer he suggests: "With you, Jesus, I cannot perish; You are always in the boat with me; what have I to fear? You may sleep; I shall not awaken You. May poor nature will tremble, oh yes! But with all my will I shall remain in peace in the midst of the storm, confident in You."

I love you so much, my dear! When will you be back in the states? Also, how's the discernment about school going?

Julie

Tita said...

Hola Angie, estamos muy orgullosas de ti por tu esfuerzo y trabajo. Sabemos que esta experiencia la llevaras contigo en tu corazon por el resto de tu vida. I hope you understand it, but we are very proud of you, thank for serving our country. We'll talk when you get here. God Bless you.

Love,

Olga and Tita